Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Catching Up with Francesca Vanin


Francesca Vanin seems to have it all figured out.

The fourth most prolific rebounder in Northeastern women’s program history has taken her game abroad to Italy to continue the game she loves.

Vanin stars for Libertas Sporting Udine, one of the top teams in the Italian A-2 league. 

“I have been very fortunate in my pursuit of playing professional basketball after my graduation from Northeastern University,” Vanin said. “I played one season in Puerto Rico and have just now started my fourth season playing basketball in Italy.  Working and living in another country has offered me a wonderful experience that I will benefit from for years to come, even after I hang up my sneakers.”

After Vanin’s senior year, a Puerto Rican coach approached then-Northeastern head coach, Willette White, about any prospective players looking to continue their careers. 

Vanin jumped at the opportunity and secured an agent after a year of Puerto Rican ball. 

“I can definitely attest to four years of Division I basketball at Northeastern prepared me for almost any type of situation I might encounter on the court, no matter what part of the world in landed in,” Vanin said. “Because Northeastern prides itself on a culturally diverse atmosphere, I was able to associate with people from all over the world before traveling overseas.

While at Northeastern, Vanin was a selected to the America East All-Rookie and finished her career in 2006 with 1,184 career points.

No comments:

Post a Comment